Thursday, January 5, 2012

More to love: Bookstores & New Destinations

Hello again!  BIG THANKS to my 3 followers & countless other friends and family who have given me their support.  Love to you all!  Now, on to the task at hand...

Anyone who knows me well knows that I CANNOT live without books!  Hardcover, softcover, old, new, doesn't matter.  To put it simply, I can find such comfort in their pages, even if I am unfamiliar with the subject being discussed.  The typeface, the cover image, the thickness of the paper, the weight in my grasp, it's all heavenly to me.  Imagine my utter delight, then, when I learned of The Book Barn- Southern Connecticut's premier bookstore, boasting over 500,000 titles to be found within its three Niantic locations!  What's a girl to do, when 3 of her loves in life come together (that is, books, barns, and cats galore)??  Visit as often as possible, that's what!!

Here are a few pics from my most recent trip. 



Look, Ma!  Livestock! 



 
If you've never been, you owe it to yourself to go!! Maybe if I drum up enough interest from my followers, there will one day be an Fyeah Friends Discount. Hmmm, not a bad idea...

After I made my literary acquisitions, I traveled on to New London.  Though I have lived in Connecticut for my entire life, there remain places I have yet to see.  New London had been on that list until this trip.  Have I mentioned that, in addition to barns, I find beauty in rundown shipyards, abandoned buildings, train tracks, and general disrepair?  Perhaps it's a fascination with sites that have long since been deemed "useful."  A romanticizing of what once was (and probably will never be again)...     


Alright, so it's not a barn, necessarily.  But, it is a building rendered in barn-style (a home? a museum?  I did not get a chance to investigate).  Nestled in the center of New London, surrounded by the concrete trappings of modernity, this little red guy (gently) commands passersby to be mindful of all that has come before now.  "Honor your ancestors," he seems to say, "be they architectural or once-living beings."  For, THIS, TOO, SHALL PASS.        

2 comments:

  1. ok it's official: you have to take me to Book Barn when I get home - how have we never gone together? I love books as well. I know exactly the comfort feeling you describe in this post. Add in trying a new cafe for a cup of joe and it sounds like a date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This oversight on my part shall be remedied upon your return to CT. Have no fear!

    ReplyDelete